The Watermelon Diet is a way of losing weight and naturally detoxifying the body in a short period. However, it’s not a diet that you should use for more than 14 days. The main ingredient of this diet is of course watermelon.
People enjoy this fruit for its invigorating and refreshing taste. Besides its pleasant flavor, watermelon provides many health benefits, including vitamin potency, diuretic properties, diseases prevention, and weight loss. Critics attempt to dispute these qualities. Even if some reservations are understandable and plausible, the benefits of this great fruit exceed critics’ counterarguments. Watermelon is very high in water and very low in calories. Not only is diuretic but is also a ‘blood tonic.’ Because of the genetic makeup of watermelon, it’s a natural thirst quencher as it contains so many H2O. There are only 32 calories in every 100 grams of watermelon, making it a very low-calorie fruit.
Watermelon Diet Claims
The watermelon diet claims that you’ll lose weight in five days because five days is the limit you can follow this diet. It promises a quick, healthy and short term weight loss strategy. Therefore, it also claims that a watermelon diet would be ideal for providing optimal health and well-being.
Other people argue that watermelons can raise one’s virility, something close to natural Viagra. The source of this “hearsay” effect is an amino acid known as Citrulline, which tends to dilate blood vessels in the same manner as the drug mentioned above does.
The Research and Science Behind Watermelon Diet
Media figures like Dr. Mercola and Dr. Oz. promote watermelon as one of nature’s ‘super foods’ and one of the best food in the world to eat. Kris Carr, author of ‘Crazy Sexy Cancer’ advocates making ‘smoothies’ with watermelon as a detoxification method. Anyway, this fruit is not the only one which helps in detoxification.
According to a new study in a journal of African food and chemistry, watermelon diet serves as a remedy for sore muscles. Taking a watermelon diet after having a workout especially for the athletes helps reduce heart rate and relief pain from muscle soreness the next day. That is because watermelon contains L-coralline. The Human body converts L-coralline into L-arginine an essential amino acid that tends to relax body muscles and improve body circulation. This study involved seven men participants. To them were given 17 ounces (5ooML) of natural watermelon juice enriched with additional Citrulline an hour before their workout start. It turned out to be that the natural juice was just as effective as the enriched artificial juice. The researchers also found out that intestinal cells can absorb more of citrulline from watermelon juice than from citrulline supplements especially when the juice is unpasteurized.
The Diet Itself
If people wish to follow the watermelon diet, they have two options, short or long term plan.
The long-term plan, which consists of 2 stages. It is a detox strategy, but since it decreases caloric intake, it is also helpful in losing weight. In 1st stage, you must consume only watermelon for the first three days. For healthy individuals, this may not be harmful but for others, health issues may appear. For the next 6-10 days, in stage 2, a little more food variety is allowed. Two meals are allowed with watermelon and also snacks between them. Then, for dinner, participants will eat more watermelon.
For the watermelon diet short-term plan, a wider food variety is allowed, and the diet only lasts for five days. This method also provides detoxifying effects and is said to be effective, as long as you follow the instructions. You must include watermelon in each meal, but other food varieties are also allowed. It is important to note that before starting any diet, individuals should always consult with their physicians.
The Long Term Watermelon Diet
Stage 1: In days 1-3, participants consume watermelon only.
Stage 2: The following 6-10 days of this diet offer more flexibility. For example, breakfast would include a bowl of oatmeal, along with either a slice of cheese or toast. Then, 2-3 slices of watermelon for a midday snack. For lunch, there is a choice of either fish or lean beef, or grilled or boiled skinless chicken breasts, and salad with any desired vegetables. The salad dressing may include minimal drops of olive oil and lemon or vinegar.
The Short Term Watermelon Diet
For example, on the 1st day, a regimen must include:
- a slice of toast and watermelon (each)
- one cup of green tea or coffee
- 100 ounces of boiled chicken
- one slice of whole wheat bread and watermelon (each)
- two slices of watermelon
- 100 grams of cooked rice
- 100 grams of the grilled fish
The watermelon diet short term plan is similar to the longer term one in regards to the selection of foods, but the variation is evident. The portion quantities vary each day.
If you don’t like the taste of watermelon, you aren’t going to like it all of a sudden, or like it just to do this diet. This diet won’t work if you don’t eat the watermelon because the entire philosophy behind the diet is based on watermelon consumption. If you don’t like it, look for other quick diets, like for example the Cabbage Soup Diet.
What You Need To Eat & Meal Plan
What people need to start this diet:
- Lots of watermelons (maybe start with a large one, or a large container of pre-cut slices and replenish as the five days continue)
- Whole grain crackers, gluten free, are an excellent choice
- Plain yogurt (plain Greek is fine, just no sugar, therefore, no ‘low fat’)
- Whole grain toast (you can use whole wheat if you prefer, but whole grain is best for this diet)
- Slices of ham or turkey (deli slices, whichever your preference is)
- Chicken, fish, shrimp (if you want), veal (if you want)
- Green vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, spinach)
- Chicken or beef broth
- Whole Grain Rice
Breakfast For 5 Days, Starting With 1st Day
- A cup of tea or coffee (black), two whole grain crackers, one plain yogurt (Greek yogurt is fine, just be sure it’s plain), and one slice of watermelon.
- Another cup of coffee or tea with skim or 1% milk, one slice of whole-grain toast with butter or light peanut butter
- A cup of coffee or tea (black), one slice of whole-grain toast, two slices of ham or turkey meat, one slice of watermelon.
- One cup of tea, two whole-grain crackers, a plain yogurt (again Greek is fine), and one slice of watermelon.
- Another cup of coffee with skim or 1% milk, two whole-grain crackers, and one slice of watermelon.
Throughout the five days of the watermelon diet, you should eat as much watermelon as you want or can mid-morning and drink the juice as well.
Lunch For 5 Fays, Starting With 1st Day
- One grilled chicken breast (you can cook veal or boneless pork chop instead), one plate of broccoli (or a different green vegetable), one tablespoon of olive oil (on meat is fine) and one plain yogurt (Make sure all yogurt is sugar-free)
- One plate of steamed cauliflower, two baked chicken thighs (pork or veal acceptable) and one plain yogurt
- Grilled shrimp or one serving of fish, a plate of green vegetables, and one plain yogurt.
- One grilled chicken breast (grilled veal fillet is fine, or boneless pork chop), one serving of whole-grain rice and one plain yogurt.
- One serving of grilled chicken breast and one plain yogurt, choose a vegetable, carrots or other non-green vegetables are okay
Just like the mid-morning snack, throughout the five days of the watermelon diet, you should eat as much watermelon as you want or can mid-morning and drink the juice as well.
DINNER Or ‘SUPPER’ For 5 days, Starting With 1st Day
- Grilled white fish, one plate of artichoke hearts or any other green vegetable, one slice of watermelon.
- One bowl of chicken broth or beef broth, one slice of baked white fish with lemon, one slice of watermelon.
- One grilled chicken breast, one vegetable salad which can contain any vegetables including non-greens, one tablespoon of olive oil, and one slice of watermelon.
- One grilled pork chop (no bone), one whole grain piece of bread (can be tortilla too) filled with asparagus or spinach (any green vegetable can be substituted), one slice of watermelon.
- Grilled white fish, one green vegetable and one non-green vegetable (asparagus and carrots for example), one slice of watermelon.
Just like the mid-morning and afternoon snacks, throughout the five days of the watermelon diet, you should eat as much watermelon as you want or drink it as juice.
Watermelon Diet Benefits
Rich in water content and dietary fiber, watermelon is said to be the king of fruits. This fruit is a great source of vitamin A, C, vitamins B (1 and 6), potassium, beta carotene, lycopene (which is an antioxidant), and magnesium. In fact, watermelon contains higher concentrations of lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable. The B vitamins are essential for energy production. Antioxidants help to reduce the severity of asthma and help cut the risk of colon cancer, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate cancer. It also helps to protect against macular degeneration.
Besides all these benefits you will also find that watermelon help in:
Reduction Of Body Fats
The citrulline in watermelon has been seen as a pigment that helps reduce body fat. Citrulline is an amino acid which converts into arginine with the kidneys help. Citrulline when absorbed, can block TNAP (tissue-nonspecific alkaline phosphate) which makes our fat cells create less fat.
Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Oxidant Support
Watermelon is rich in phenolic compounds like flavonoids, carotenoids, and triterpenoids. The carotenoid lycopene is highly beneficial in reducing inflammation and neutralizing free radicals. The “triterpenoid cucurbitacin E” is also present in watermelon which provides anti-inflammatory support. Be sure that you pick ripe watermelons since they have large amounts of these fluids.
Diuretic And Kidney Support
Since watermelon is rich in potassium, it has electrolyte which tends to regulate the action of nerves and muscles in our body. Potassium controls the movement of nerves and muscles in our body.
Alkaline Forming Effect
Watermelon has the ability to form alkaline in our body when fully ripe. The presence of alkaline has a great effect in preventing diseases caused by acid in the body.
Watermelon plays a big role in improving the eyesight since it contains beta-carotene which is converted to vitamin A in our bodies. It helps produce the pigments in the region of the eye and also strengthens the muscles in the eye. Also, it prevents night blindness. Vitamin A also maintains healthy skin.
Watermelon died improves wound healing and prevents cell damage. The C vitamin content in watermelon is extremely high. Vitamin C helps in the formation of connective tissue. Hence, it plays a significant role in the healing of wounds. It maintains the redox integrity of cells hence preventing the cells from being affected by reactive oxygen species which damage our cells and DNA.
The main counterargument is that human body may be deprived of essential nutrients during this diet. For optimal functionality human body needs protein and fats. During this diet plan protein and fat intake decrease a lot. Protein is considered the main building block that human bodies are made up of. As well, protein plays a major and critical role in producing neurotransmitters, enzymes, hormones, and other necessary chemicals. Also, the human body needs a certain amount of natural fat to absorb essential vitamins, such as A, D, E, and K.
However, in the short run, the watermelon diet has not shown any health risks. In fact, it showed to be extremely beneficial. In regards to timeframes, even the longer term plan (consisting of 2 stages) is only designed to last for maximum two weeks. Additionally, in neither plan is watermelon the sole food in the daily diet.
Does Watermelon Diet Helps In Weight Loss?
Aside from being a delightfully refreshing fruit, watermelon is also a highly potent diuretic, which means that it promotes the passage of urine. Watermelon flushes and cleanses the body, which assists in the removal of excess body fat. So, watermelon helps the urinary system to do its job because contains 97% water. In flushing excess body fat, you will achieve weight loss.
Who Should Start The Watermelon Diet
In conclusion, watermelon is an all-time favorite fruit enjoyed by many people for being tasty, invigorating and refreshing. With its great health benefits, the watermelon diet is ideal for anyone seeking to restore a healthy and balanced lifestyle. It not only assists with weight loss but also helps in losing weight very quickly. For those looking to get rid of excess toxins, salt, water, and other impurities that can negatively affect the body, then the watermelon diet is highly recommended. Providing great support for those with chronic illnesses, the watermelon diet is also great for anyone who wishes to achieve or maintain optimal health functioning. Though critics may dispute its effectiveness, the benefits of this diet by far outweigh any negative feedback.
If you are looking to start a healthier lifestyle with proper, healthy eating habits and you need a quick start or a ‘head start,’ than The Watermelon Diet would be a good fit.
In case that you are pregnant, you should not go on this diet. You should not put a child on this diet either. Pregnant women and children have different dietary needs.