Having a feeling of a dry cough is a common health problem and is never fun to deal with it. Although it is a simple ailment, people visit physicians because of the irritating symptoms. A persistent one can turn into a big problem especially when people are far away from home and don’t have the proper medications near them. One of the possible ways to get rid of a dry cough it is by learning more about the home remedies for presented below. But first, let’s take a look at its categories.
Most doctors tell you that Coughing is a natural reflex of the body which can be likened to clearing one’s throat but the problem is that unlike clearing the throat, it cannot be controlled neither that it be stopped from happening. A cough is classified into two categories,
- the one with phlegm which usually comes after the incident of a flu or cold.
- a dry one which is persistent and irritating.
A dry and irritating cough can be a sign of a viral infection. If yours is accompanied by symptoms such as high fever, body ache, and headache, it is possible that a virus could be initiating it. In this case, it would be advisable to visit your doctor. People who suffer from asthma condition experience chronic unproductive coughs usually accompanied by chest tightness and shortness of breath. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, undergoing medical tests will allow you to confirm if it is asthma or stress and find a possible solution to alleviating the ailment. When an individual experiences a cough, it is a pointer which indicates that the throat needs to be cleared of any obstructions to breathing clearly.
Follow Next 14 Home Remedies For A Dry Cough
Getting rid of it sometimes could be difficult especially when it has built its wall round the lungs, however, if you have encountered it, you can take some steps by following the next natural remedies for coughs.
1. Pure And Natural Honey
Honey possesses high antioxidant and antimicrobial properties and soothes our body. Because of these facts, it may assist in healing the nasty coughs and sore throat irritations. Also, natural honey has a healthier task in decreasing the intensity, frequency and the annoying character of a nocturnal cough and demonstrated a positive impact on the sleep quality of both adults and kids. If you mix it with lemons or black pepper, you will find an almost instant soothing relief. Following are two remedies for a cough using honey:
1.1. Honey And Lemon
For the first home treatment, you will need:
- 2 of tablespoon of honey
- 1 lemon
- 1 little mug
- Put two tablespoons of honey into a cup.
- Squeeze out the lemon juice, add and stir.
- Use a tablespoon to lick the mixture.
- This remedy must be taken twice daily, for effective results.
1.2. Honey And Black Pepper
For the second cough remedy with honey you need:
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of natural bee honey
- A teacup
- In a tea cup place one teaspoon of black pepper.
- Fill it with boiling water, cover with a dish and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Add three tablespoons of natural bee honey and drink this mixture tea.
- Black pepper works as a decongestant and influences circulation.
- The gently honey calms the throat and relieves coughing.
Note: Do not give children less than 1-year-old any mixture with honey as their body is not fully matured and can develop botulism.
2. Cherry Bark Syrup
If you use cherry bark combined with valerian, dried ginger root, anise and fennel seeds, and cinnamon chips you can prepare yourself a homemade healing syrup which gives an instant relief. While wild cherries contain substances that might help reduce the inflammation, ginger is stimulating salivation and mucus production. The end product forms an excellent syrup which produces a sweet taste and calms down dry coughs.
- 3 wild cherry bark tablespoons
- 1 valerian tablespoon
- ½ tablespoon of dried ginger root
- cinnamon chips
- ¼ tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- Put all mentioned above ingredients 1000 ml of water.
- Simmer and blend all the ingredients over low heat.
- Ensure the liquid is reduced to half before removing the heat.
- Drain out the liquid and put five tablespoons in a cup.
- Depending on taste, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of honey to the herbal mixture while still warm, stir and sip gently.
Note: Wild cherries contain prunasin. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is not advised to drink any cherry bark syrups or teas.
3. Homemade Tea With Thyme Leaves
The flavonoids in thyme calm down the inflammation and chill out the ileal and tracheal muscles. Also, opens the airways for natural breathing and reduce coughing. In Germany, it is an officially approved remedy for this naturally and repetitively occurring reflex. If you wish to make a thyme tea for a cough, you will need:
- Some fresh thyme leaves ( or 2 tablespoons of dried thyme equivalent)
- Hot water
- Slightly pound the fresh leaves of thyme with a mortar and pestle and then place in a cup.
- Add 250 ml of hot water to the content in the cup and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Add two teaspoon of honey to taste.
- Gradually drink the whole content while still hot.
- Repeat this cough remedy three times daily, in the morning, lunch time and the evening.
4. Pineapple Syrup
Bromelain, an anti-inflammatory enzyme which manages infections and helps ease a cough is found in pineapple. Although pineapple juice is not as effecting in treating it as a syrup, if you combine it with lemon, ginger, honey and pepper, your infection will have a hard time. If you wish to prepare a mixture(juice) from pineapple for coughing, it is needed:
- 1 pineapple
- 4 lemons
- 2 piece of ginger (2 cm each)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 fresh chili peppers
- Take the lemons and pineapple and wash these well.
- Remove the skin, cut into small pieces and add thru a juicer.
- If you have ginger root add that too thru the juicer.
- Take the juice, put it in a cup and add honey, salt, pepper and dried spices and mix well.
- Consume 10 ounces 1-3 times per day.
- Repeat the process until you notice that your cough hops away.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar gives a calming feeling on the throat, which assists in relieving the irritation and also aids minimize the discomfort. By using only four resources, apple cider vinegar, black pepper and honey and 20 minutes to prepare it, this unique home cough remedy will shock all on how well it is helping to clean the symptoms entirely. Will completely clear the throat and aid sleep calmly during the whole night. To prepare this apple cider vinegar as cough remedy recipe you will need:
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons natural bee honey
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put apple cider vinegar, honey and cayenne pepper in a tiny container and mix well.
- Allow it for 15 minutes to form up a tasty spicy mixture.
- Before taking it, shake well the container.
- Enjoy one teaspoon three times per day until the cough symptoms start to disappear.
- If you don’t eat this spicy syrup entirely, you can store it in the refrigerator and keep it for maximum three months.
Ginger root helps in healing coughs particularly those produced on by common colds. Also, it works as a linctus which contributes to loosening and ejecting mucous from the lungs.
6.1. Ginger And Turmeric
Turmeric is a natural herb with anti-bacterial properties. When turmeric is combined with ginger and honey, a great mixture is formed which if consumed properly, will help you get rid of your dry ones. You can prepare the ginger syrup with turmeric, honey and milk right in your kitchen.
For first ginger syrup recipe you will need:
- 1 teaspoon of crushed ginger
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of pure honey
- Mix the ginger and turmeric.
- Add the mixture in warm milk and add 1 tablespoon of natural bee honey.
- Drink it slowly.
- By using this mixture two times per day, you will notice a healing from your cough in just 12 hours.
6.2. Just Ginger And Honey
Also, if you decide to make just a ginger & honey mixture for coughs you will need:
- 1 tablespoon of fine cut ginger
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of honey
- Add 4 cups of water to the chopped ginger.
- Boil the water until the liquid is reduced to half of the initial content.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup of honey and stir until it completely dissolves.
- Put in a bottle and take one tablespoon every 1 hour.
- You will notice that your cough lessens over time.
6.3. With Tulsi
Furthermore, when you use Ginger and Tulsi in combination, it produces a delicious and very useful remedy for many ailments. If a person experiences a cough or cold, we recommend drinking a ginger & tulsi juice daily for an effective and fast relief.
- ½ teaspoon of tulsi juice
- ½ teaspoon of crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Put half a teaspoon of tulsi juice and half a teaspoon of ginger juice in a cup.
- Add one teaspoon of honey.
- Take the mixture 2-3 times a day.
7. Onion, Lemon & Honey
We’ve all learned that lemon and honey ease a dry one. But do we know that onions are a source of quercetin, a flavonol that destroys mucous in the chest and same time enhancing your immune system? Onions additionally include allicin which helps in getting rid of a lot of infections and germs. If we combine lemon, onion, honey and water, we will get a useful homemade syrup for nasty coughs.
- 1 red or yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ½ lemon
- Extract the juice from the onion in a glass jar.
- Squeeze the lemon in a pot, add honey and allow it to sit for 6 hours.
- When the onion, lemon, and honey are fully combined, take two tablespoons of this homemade onion syrup twice daily.
8. Garlic & Tomatoes Mixture
Garlic is used as a home remedy for chronic dry coughs because it has strong anti-microbial properties that help to lessen its persistence. You may use oregano culinary leaves and tomatoes with garlic to treat specific ailments. If you mix honey with garlic and above written two other ingredients to relieve your inflammation you will need:
- 2 fresh oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 2 tomatoes
- Use ½ cup of water to boil both the garlic cloves and the oregano for 7 minutes.
- Allow the mix to cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a cup and add honey.
- Stir together while adding the crushed tomatoes with you hand.
- Drink and eat slowly this mixture.
- After approx 10 minutes you will notice an instant healing relief from your dry cough.
9. Saline Nasal Rinse
To ease a cough, make a saline nasal rinse to remove the mucus from your nasal passage. Pure 20 ounces of water by boiling for five minutes. Let it cool to room temperature, and dissolve one teaspoon of salt in the uncontaminated water. Use the head of a syringe or a neti pot to clean the interior of your nose. Postnasal worsens coughs and cleaning the mucous secretion which would normally drip down your throat gives you a minor soothing sensation.
10. Mullein Flowers Tea
Mullein flowers tea helps to ease a cough, but anise seeds are needed too due to their Jagermeister taste and medicinal benefits, such for example, expectorant in productive coughs. You can create your unique cough remedy at home by boiling the equal amount of anise seeds and mullein flowers to make the herb tea. For this homemade tea you will need:
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 teaspoons dried mullein flowers
- 3 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
Take two teaspoons of the brewed tea into a cup, add one or two teaspoons of honey to have a better taste. If you prefer, you can add some ginger to ease your cough faster.
11. Eucalyptus & Lemon Essential Oils
Eucalyptol, the main component of this oil will help you to ease a cough. Buying already prepared eucalyptus oil is safer to prevent overdose. For this home cough remedy you will need:
- 3 tablespoons of pure honey
- 4 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oils
- 1 drops of Lemon Essential Oils
- 8 ounces of warm water
- Combine four drops of eucalyptus oil and one drop of lemon with three tablespoons of honey in a small glass jar
- Stir properly. Take one teaspoon of this blend and dilute it in a glass containing warm water.
- Drink slowly.
Caution: It is not advised to take eucalyptus oil by mouth not diluted.
12. Chesty Vapors Using Peppermint And Olive Oil
Peppermint has linctus properties and relieves dry coughs. For this simple remedy, you need two drops of peppermint oil and one teaspoon of olive oil. Just mix the two drops of peppermint oil to 1 teaspoon of olive oil and rub on the chest three times a day.
13. Almond Oil
The health benefits of almonds are all-encompassing, and they are commonly used as a healing relief from coughs, respiratory disorders, heart disorders, constipation, anemia, and diabetes. Almond oil in a mixture with ginger and onion soothes dry ones.
- 7 drops of almond oil
- 3 teaspoon of crushed ginger
- 2 teaspoon of white onion extract
Mix seven drops of almond oil, three teaspoons of crushed ginger juice and two teaspoons of white onion extract. Take this mixture at least two times daily.
14. Tangerine Peel Tea
Tangerine peel is one of the greatest sources of vitamin C. The tea is warm and spicy in taste. It dries up mucus, relieves coughs and clears the throat. Dried tangerine peel may be found any traditional Asian store.
- 3 tablespoon dried tangerine peel
- 1 tablespoon honey
- A cup of hot water
- Crush the dried tangerine peels with a mortar and pestle.
- Put four tangerine peel pieces in a mug of boiled water.
- Cover the cup for 10 minutes so the tea is brewing.
- Using a tea strainer, remove the peels from the tea and pour it into a jug.
- Enjoy it!
Bonus Cough Remedies
15. Borage Leaves
Instead of the above natural ingredients mentioned, you can also use borage leaves with honey. Borage leaves act as expectorant clearing the chest and relieving cough. For this, you will need:
- ½ cup of borage leaves
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- 2 cups of honey
- Blend ½ cup of borage leaves along with ½ cup of water using a blender until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a pot, add 2 cups of honey and then boil.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of juicy lemon tea.
- Take 1-2 cups of this mixture as necessary for an effective cough relief.
Tips & Pieces of Advices for Coughing People
Following are some everyday pieces of advice if you are passing thru a dry and persistent cough:
- To help yourself daily, drink 10-ounce fresh glasses of water daily to soften the mucous membranes.
- Enjoying a hot shower with an abundance of steam or starting a humidifier will help liquefy mucus stocked in your air passage, making it simpler to relieve symptoms.
- Put some Vicks on feet during the day.
- By no means get a suppressant to stop a productive one because a productive one purges secretions from the airways.
- Stop using tobacco, gasses and dust because it will trigger its symptoms.
- Candy stores may be your friend because it is time to suck a peppermint candy which increases saliva production and suppress its signs.
- To relieve a productive cough blow your nose frequently to clear your sinuses and prevent postnasal drip from triggering more.
Your home is the best place for reliefs where you start mixing natural therapies. Practically all the medicines dealing with common ailments like an annoying cough can be found in your kitchen. The beautiful thing about the home remedies for cough presented in this article is that are convenient, fairly less expensive, easy to put into practice, and finally no chemicals are used while preparing them. There is this ‘feel good’ factor where you feel excited that you were able to treat your ailment all by yourself with natural alternative solutions.