Sunburn is one of the common problems encountered in the summertime. Going out of the home and getting sunburned is probably the greatest bane of summer. This skin response to UV exposure creates dark pigment or discoloration in the top layer of your skin, resulting in tanned skin and irritation. People achieve this issue as the consequence of their exposure to the sun. Overexposing of the body to the sunlight increases the risk of it. The ultraviolet rays of the sun are responsible for this fundamental problem. While different sun lotions are available at shops near us, some sunburn home remedies may be a route that some people may choose it.
Sunburn becomes a common problem for the people who go to take a trip to a different place, specifically for spending their summer vacations. It turns their summer fun into a nightmare. Besides, many people who work under the sun are affected severely by burned skin patches. Therefore, a significant number of people who face this issue want to know how to get rid of it. A vast majority of them are interested in knowing some healthy remedies that can give them practical and natural solutions.
How To Get Rid Of Sunburn With Ease At Home
Following, we shall discuss on 20 sunburn reliefs that could be made at home easily without spending much time. This article will help people know the natural ways. All of these can be done at home without spending significantly for these. Just follow these healthy tips to get rid of it with your least possible efforts. Have a look at some natural sunburn reliefs mentioned below:
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera gel is an excellent sunburn relief. This natural herb contains 99% water and 1% minerals. The remaining 1 % is rich in nearly 150 minerals and other micro-nutritional elements like sodium, zinc, calcium, vitamins, magnesium, selenium, copper, amino acids, tannins (astringents) and more. Selenium and tannins are known as excellent answers. You just need to collect a leaf of Aloe Vera to get Aloe Vera gel from it.
- Cut the Aloe Vera leaf with a knife.
- The gel will ooze from it gradually. It is sticky or greasy.
- Take it and apply it to sunburned areas.
- Your skin will absorb it quietly, giving you a feeling of comfort.
- Besides, before your exposure to the sun, you can apply the gel on your face and wait for a few moments until it dries properly.
- You can repeat the process for several times in a day.
2. Rub Potato Slices
Potato has a soothing effect on human skin. It can cure sunburned areas by reducing the inflammatory or stinging feeling. To use it, you just need to cut a potato into different slices.
- Take the slices and rub gently the affected areas of your burned skin
- You can grind some potato slices to make a paste of potatoes
- Now you can apply the potato paste to your sunburned areas and leave it for few hours until it dries completely
- Once the paste is dried properly, wash it with fresh cool water
- You can also tie your affected areas with a clean cloth, putting some potato paste in it
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times in a day
3. Cucumber Paste
Cucumber offers a significant number of health benefits. It has very cool and soothing effect on burned skin. Holding antioxidant and analgesic agents, cucumber works as an excellent remedy for sunburn.
- Cut a cucumber into different slices.
- Take a few slices and grind them in a mixer grinder. Grind it properly until you receive a cucumber paste.
- Apply cucumber paste on your patches.
- After that, leave it for 20 minutes, until the paste dries automatically.
- Now wash them well with cool water.
- Apart from applying paste, you can use slices on the sunburned skin. To do so, you just put the cucumber slices on the affected skin for half an hour.
- You can also prepare cucumber juice. To do so, you need to extract the juice from the paste. Once the juice is extracted, you can soak a cotton ball in the juice and rub gently on the affected area to give it a cold compress.
4. Apply Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has a splendid healing effect on the sunburn patches. It contains Lauric acid, which can have a magical effect on the burned skin. To follow this method, you should take one or two tablespoons of coconut oil and put them in a properly cleaned bowl. Now a few drops of lavender or oil are used to be mixed with coconut oil.
Rub it on the affected areas on your skin. Once it is absorbed into the skin, you just need to wash it with cool water. It will reduce your inflammation, irritation, itching, and redness.
Caution: One should not apply coconut oil instantly after the sunburn. A One-day gap is excellent to wait.
5. Mint And Green Tea
Mint is very fresh in nature. It soothes sunburns areas. Tannic acid and theobromine from green tea ensure a soothing effect on affected areas. Its strong anti-oxidant protects skin from ultraviolet rays and harmful toxins. It can relieve pain, cure red patches and heal damaged skin. It also pulls out the extra heat from the affected areas and helps to balance the pH levels of human skin by giving more comfort.
- Boil some water.
- Add four or five tea bags of green tea and fresh mint leaves approximately three cups in a pan.
- Pour boiled water into the pan and keep it hot, covering it with a lid.
- Let it rest nearly one or two hours. The juice and strain will come out.
- Now take a fresh cotton pad and soak it in the chilled liquid and rub it directly on the burned or tanned skin areas.
Needless to say, you can substitute green tea with black tea- if green tea is unavailable at your local grocery.
6. Ice Cubes And Cool Water
Ice-cubes and water have extensive uses in reducing inflammation and irritation of sunburns. One can use cool water and ice cubes to treat the burned skin by doing next:
- Wrap the ice cubes in a towel or cloth and gently tap the red patches of your skin.
- Drink cold water adequately on a daily basis to hydrate your body. It will help you reduce the burning sensation.
- Take a deep bath in cool water to lower your body temperature. It will reduce inflammatory feelings quickly.
A caution: You should never apply ice cubes directly on burned skin.
It is one of the most effective sunburn reliefs that may be done at home. You can apply yogurt on the damaged skin to reduce inflammatory pains or burning sensations. Because yogurt contains some enzymes and probiotics which are highly effective in healing damaged skin, it can give you a fast relief.
Wash your hands with soap before applying yogurt directly to your burned areas. Apply it and let it stay there for at least 5 minutes until it starts working in the affected areas and bring a soothing effect. After 5-10 minutes, you can wash it off with fresh water.
8. Baking Soda
Add at least one cup of baking soda in the bath water and take a refreshing bath. Bathe well with it and let the burned areas soak this water properly. Do not dry your body with a towel. Instead, let the water dry on your skin. It will reduce pain and heal your skin. As an antiseptic in nature, baking soda has no side effects on our bodies. It reduces burning sensation and prevents infection.
9. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of effective home remedies for sunburn problems. Besides, it can cure many ailments. Apple cider vinegar works as an astringent, but contrary reduces the sensation caused by sunburns. It helps our body tissues to shrink and relax after. As the consequence of it, we feel comfort. It also keeps the pH levels balanced for the burned skin and speeds up the healing process. The frequency of applying ACV may vary, depending on its severity. Here are the top 3 sunburn home remedies using apple cider vinegar:
9.1. Just ACV
Get pure and raw apple cider in a bowl. Take a piece of a clean washcloth and soak it in apple cider vinegar. Now take the cloth out of the bowl and twist it tightly to remove the excess ACV. Put this on the burned areas and leave it for 5 minutes. Repeat the same process for 30 minutes. This method can ensure you instant relief from the inflammatory pain, stinging or burning sensation of the skin.
9.2. ACV Relaxing Bath
There is another method to use apple cider vinegar. In this approach, you use just 1 cup apple cider vinegar and water. Take a cup of apple cider vinegar and pour it into the bathtub and fill the bath with water. Stir it well and leave it for five minutes. Now plunge into it and take a deep bath until your body gets soaked well in this water.You can use this ACV method 3 – 4 times in a week.
9.3. ACV Spray
This method is the easiest to follow. You can apply ACV several times in a day. You need to get Apple cider vinegar, water, and a spray bottle. Put equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl. Stir it well and leave it for 3 minutes. Now pour this mixture in an empty spray bottle. Shake it well and spray it on the sunburned areas of your skin several times in a day.
Oats are enriched with anti-oxidants that can give an effective solution for inflammatory pain. It is known as a classic home remedy for sunburn problems. The anti-inflammatory properties in oatmeal are excellent in treating the burned skin. It can alleviate the irritation and itching caused by sunburn. Its polysaccharides help to coat the skin and heal burned skin. However, making you wet in slightly cool water helps your body to seal better and trap your body heat. To follow this method, you need to get 1 cup of Oatmeal.
- Take the oatmeal and put it in a mixer grinder to grind it well, until it becomes a powder.
- Now pour this powder into the bathtub and leave it for 5 minutes.
- After that, stir it well.
- Now drown your body in this bathtub for several minutes.
- Then let your body dry well naturally.
- Repeat it 1 – 2 times daily until you get full relief from the irritation and itching.
11. Witch Hazel Water
Witch hazel is a useful herb giving a fast sunburn relief. It is a rich source of tannins that can soothe the inflammation and irritation caused by the burned skin. It reduces the swelling, heals red patches and repairs the damaged skin. To use this method, you need to collect two ingredients: Witch Hazel Water and a clean washcloth.
- Put the adequate amount of witch hazel water in a small pot or bowl.
- Now take a clean washcloth or cotton ball and soak it well in the witch hazel water.
- Once it is soaked well, take it out of the bowl to apply it to the skin area.
- Apply it fully.
- Let it dry naturally and repeat this process for several times in a day for a few days, until it gets thoroughly cured.
12. Use Cool Water Compress
Cool water is considered as one the best sunburn relief because it is excellent to reduce blister and swelling of the skin. But only for a short period of time. It can pull away the heat from the burned skin and give comfort. To follow this process, you need to get cool milk or water and a clean towel.
- Take a bucket of cool water and wet the washcloth in it.
- Now wring the towel and drain out the excess water from it.
- Apply this towel on the burned skin areas.
- Let the soaked cloth stay for a few minutes on the affected areas until it becomes warm.
- Now take the towel off and again soak it in fresh water to reapply it.
- Do it several times, until you feel comfortable.
13. Apply Homemade Sunburn Cream
Homemade sunburn cream is one of the most important remedies that give you instant relief from the burning sensation. Using various natural ingredients, you can prepare a sunburn cream alone. It has been proved highly effective in delivering a long-term solution.
To prepare it at your home, you need to collect:
- 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera
- 1 tablespoon of Witch Hazel
- 3 to 5 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of chopped mint leaves
- 1 teaspoonful peppermint oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Put witch hazel and aloe Vera gel in a bowl.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of water into it.
- Mix it properly and leave it aside for about 2 – 3 hours.
- Add chopped mint leaves and baking soda to this mixture.
- Stir the mixture well and keep in a cool, dry place for 24 hours.
- Let the cream infuse well. Now your cream is ready.
- You can store it in the refrigerator and apply it anytime whenever you need.
- Daily application will cure your sunburned areas well.
Info: You should add the right amount of baking soda so that the right consistency comes.
14. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oils are known well for its anti-inflammatory properties that alleviate the sunburn effects on your skin. You can apply it directly to the affected areas without diluting it with water. You can get comfort from irritation and inflammation quickly. This oil has amazing powers to regenerate skin tissue. To follow this method, you should take a few drops of Lavender essential oil and a piece of a washcloth.
- Put a few drops of Lavender essential oil on the damp washcloth.
- Now apply this damp cloth on the affected area of the skin.
- Allow it to stay there for a couple of minutes and then rub the area gently with this cloth for about 2 – 4 minutes.
- Make sure that you should not use this process just after you have a sunburn.
- Allow the skin area to cool down by using water and then follow this process.
- Reapply the oil soaked cloth on the sunburned areas daily, for a few days, until the symptoms disappear.
15. Papaya, Honey And Oatmeal
A combination of Papaya, Honey and Oatmeal acts as a genuine sunburn relief. It can give you a faster recovery than any homemade sunburn cream. Honey is magnificent in healing the dry areas of your skin. Papaya reduces the irritation and inflammation, and oatmeal is treating burned skin. To make a combination of all 3, you need to get:
- 1 cup of mashed papaya
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of oatmeal powder
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Put the oatmeal powder and some mashed papaya in a bowl.
- Now add honey.
- Then stir it well until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Apply it to the sunburned skin area and leave it for about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Finally, wash it well with cool water.
- Repeat the same process on a daily basis until the areas get cured properly from sunburn.
16. Cool Milk
Cold milk compresses are one of the best homemade sunburn reliefs. It is a fast, efficient and low-cost remedy. The coolness of the milk pulls out the heat and makes a protection layer on the affected areas. Thus, it heals the sunburned areas and soothes the caused discomfort.
To follow this method, you should take the chilled milk and a piece of clean and soft cloth or gauze.
- Take adequate amount of chilled milk.
- Put the wet the cloth or gauze in it.
- Leave it for a few seconds, until it soaks the milk properly.
- Drain out the excess milk from it and apply it to the burned areas.
- Let it stay there for a few minutes.
- Do this again.
- It can be done for a few days until you get rid of the sunburn problems.
Note: You have to keep the milk in the refrigerator until it gets cool.
Tomatoes are always useful to treat various skin diseases. It can heal damaged skin affected by harmful UV rays. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene. It works as an anti-oxidant. It is highly powerful in bringing cooling effect on the sunburned skin. To follow this method, get 2-4 tomatoes and one tablespoon of Yogurt.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces.
- Grind these well in a mixer grinder and put them on a piece of a washcloth.
- Now extract the juice in a bowl and add yogurt to it.
- Stir the mixture well and apply on the affected areas of the skin.
- Rub it gently for about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Do this 2–3 times in a day.
18. Lettuce Leaves
Lettuce is used to heal the sunburn pain. It contains analgesic properties and has anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it can cure various types of skin ailments. If you are suffering from severe pain due to burned skin, you can prepare a liquid from the lettuce leaves. You are sure to get rid of the problems caused by the heated skin.
To follow this method, you just need to collect few lettuce leaves, 1 liter of water, a strainer, and a cotton ball or washcloth.
- Take adequate amount of leaves to wash these correctly. Then take a pot to fill it with water.
- Add leaves to it and boil it for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- After this time-frame, turn off the heat and strain the liquid.
- Now leave the pot for 15 minutes or more, until it cools down.
- Then soak a cotton ball and drain out extra water before applying it on the affected areas.
- Put the ball on the affected area and rub the wound gently.
- It can be done multiple times in a day.
19. Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow is used well for treating a sunburn. You should take two teaspoons of fresh or dried marshmallow root, 1 to 2 cups of water, strainer, and gauze.
Take a pan and fill it with water. Now add marshmallow root and boil it for 10-15 minutes. Now strain it and wet the gauze. Apply this on the burned area and let it dry. You can repeat this process 3-4 times in a day.
Natural honey is a good antibiotic. It can heal the sunburn quickly. The healing and anti-inflammatory property of honey, reduce blisters and swelling of the skin. To apply it, you just need to get raw honey.
- Take adequate amount of organic honey to apply this to the affected areas of the skin.
- Make a thin layer of it on the skin and let it dry naturally.
- Wash it with cool water after 1 or 2h hours.
- You can repeat the process for 1 – 2 times in a day and keep doing it for a week until you feel better.
These natural and homemade sunburn reliefs are cheap, practical and easy-to-follow. These remedies have no side-effects on our bodies. This is exactly why a vast majority of people are highly interested in following these methods. To help them get rid of these sunburn problems the preparation of each solution has been written clearly. Thank you for your time spent to read these tips about reliable ways to cure it.