Onychomycosis affects both toenails and fingernails. It manifests by thickening and yellowing and giving an opaque aspect to these. Foot fungus (mycosis) represents the most common dermatological disease that people get it in the swimming pools, public restrooms and manicure and pedicure salons. The contamination occurs through direct contact with the infected areas and affects, especially, the skin between toes, sole, and nails. This disease is contagious, and foot fungus is transmissible between individuals. Lower foot fungus can be very unpleasant for many reasons. For example, women who are wearing sandals during summer can be bothered from an aesthetical point of view. The epidermis and the shape of the toenails are affected, and sometimes, the fungus can lead to their fall. Lastly, people will notice the itchy sensation caused by this infection. If not treated in time, the infection can spread to others too.
Moreover, even if you treat the affected nails properly, the damage caused by this infection may be irreversible. It is necessary to treat it as soon as possible because it can be a start for other germs. If you don’t treat it in time, these affections can generate serious complications for those with a low immune system, as those who are suffering from AIDS, leukemia or those who have had an organ transplant procedure. Unfortunately, strong immune measures against it are not available, but we recommend the next hygiene measures and home remedies for toenail fungus in detail, below.
How To Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus Completely and Permanently
Our grandparents used coffee as a disinfectant, but it is unsure if many people know about its real benefits in this direction. Make coffee in the morning, for this remedy to work, by using ten heaping teaspoons of coffee and 150 ml of water. Don’t drink it. For treating the mycosis, use it to soak the affected nails repeatedly, for ten minutes every day, 5-10 times per day. After one week you will see that coffee will have healing powers on your affected ones.
Caution: Don’t drink coffee if you suffer from this infection. Coffee will make your feet sweat which is what toenail fungus adore, wet and dark environments.
2. Apple Vinegar & Honey
Honey represents one of the oldest and best known natural medicines. These have numerous therapeutic proprieties and treat a wide range of diseases: from colds, indigestions or rheumatism to mycosis, hair loss, obesity, and chronic fatigue. As an antifungal, honey heals toenail fungus by pulling harmful substances out of the feet. Furthermore, if you combine honey with apple vinegar, it will cure your infection, but you must follow this remedy for a longer period.
- Soak the afflicted toenail in apple vinegar and honey for 30 minutes.
- Next, cover the afflicted finger in cotton, soaked in apple vinegar and honey, and wrap it in plastic overnight.
- In the morning wash your feet with lukewarm water and pat fully dry with clean towels.
- Using this treatment, you’ll get rid of the nail fungus within 2-3 months.
You also may use only apple vinegar because its strong antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral proprieties are making it the best home remedy for toenail fungus. You can use it against these infections in three ways:
- Drink two spoons of vinegar mixed with 235 ml of water, three times per day to balance the PH.
- Rub the infected nail three times per day with a solution consisting of 2 spoons of vinegar and one spoon of water.
- Mix two parts of warm water with one part of apple vinegar, then soak the infected nail in this solution, for 20 minutes.
3. Wine Vinegar With Alcohol And Baking Soda
Wine vinegar has little acidity, and will help shoot off the infection without modifying the ph levels. While baking soda restricts fungus from developing and alcohol works as an antifungal agent, this home remedy is one of the cheapest and most efficient ones.
What you need:
- 8 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2-4 cups of wine vinegar
- A container to soak your feet in
- Clean towels
- Pure alcohol
- In a container, dilute wine vinegar in water in the proportion of 1:1.
- Add two tablespoons of salt and one tablespoon of pure alcohol for each cup of vinegar added.
- Soak the infected toenails for 30 minutes each time in the morning, afternoon and in the evening.
- Before bedtime, soak a cotton ball in the wine vinegar mixture and use it on the affected ones, wrapping these in plastic.
- In the morning, clean the dead part.
- After washing, pat your feet dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat the procedure until healing is complete. In one month, healthy nails will grow.
Wash daily with detergent for ten days. This is one of the most efficient methods to fight nail fungi because the detergent contains alkaline substances while fungi develop in acidic environments. The treatment consists in washing with soap for ten days, 10 minutes every day. The simplest method is to soak the affected hand or foot in water in which you added a little amount of detergent.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be used for any skin infections. It’s an essential oil that must be kept in your houses. Full of antiviral, antispasmodic and antimicrobial proprieties, this oil, can be applied directly on affected toenails. Tea tree oil cream has been used during studies for curing foot fungus, and the results have proved its efficacy with 50% of the cases being cured.
What you need:
- 2-6 teaspoons of tea tree oil
- one toothbrush
- 2-4 teaspoons of ethyl alcohol
- clean towel
- In the beginning, wash the area on/around the nail’s illness carefully.
- Then after rubbing that area with ethyl alcohol, apply pure tea tree oil directly to the suffering ones.
- Let the skin absorb the tea tree oil for approximately 15 minutes.
- After that, softly scratch your toenail using a soft and unused toothbrush.
- Wash and tap these completely dry with clean towels.
- Repeat these instructions daily in the evening until you heal the toenails completely.
6. Ammonia & Hydrogen Peroxide
Ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda are all three alkaline substances. To treat your toenail fungus with ammonia, make a solution consisting of one spoon of ammonia diluted in one glass of warm water. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and massage the afflicted area. Wrap in gauze and leave it on overnight until next day in the morning.
If you don’t have any homecare ammonia liquid in your house at the moment, but you have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide solution, to get rid of toenail fungus, use a cotton ball to apply HP to your affected ones every day after showering until the infection vanishes.
7. Garlic For Toe Nail Fungus
The use of garlic cloves for treating fungal issues is a traditional remedy, and it is frequently the only effective treatment for fungus trapped in challenging to reach places.Make a decoction using five crushed cloves of garlic and add fine salt. Rub the afflicted fungus area. This natural treatment can be used against fungal toenails for ten days, at most.
8. Comfrey Root Ointment
Comfrey ointments, salves, and teas are best known for the topical treatment of any skin irritation and infection. Rosemary leaves are known for their antibacterial potential. If mixed with olive oil and bee wax you will get an excellent ointment which will help you get rid of toenail fungus.
- 20g Comfrey Root (4 teaspoons)
- 10 g Rosemary leaves (3 teaspoons)
- 750 ml Olive Oil
- 40 g Bee Wax
- Place all plants in oil, heat up for 30 minutes at bain-marie.
- Let it cool down, then strain through gauzes.
- Let it sit for one day, melt the bee wax and mix until it has an ointment consistency.
- To increase the therapeutic proprieties of this ointment, mix with 0.5 ml lavender volatile oil and 0.5 ml tea tree oil.
- Rub the fungal nail with the ointment.
9. Coconut Oil
Stay near me because I uncover coconut oil secrets which may be an interesting way to eliminate toenail fungus without making use of any toxic substances. The fatty acids from coconut oil break the fungal membrane which may lead to cell destruction of this infection.
What you need:
- Maximum 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Laundry detergent to wash your hands between applications
- Clean paper towel
I think the indications are pretty simple. Just apply coconut oil on the affected toenail and wait for 30 minutes max. Because you have to wait this period, the recommendation is to wash your hands with detergent. Do the same procedure after 30 minutes. Repeat this maximum two times per day.
10. Aloe Vera
Known as a panacea good for its antifungal and anti-bacterial properties, the plant or the gel made from Aloe Vera is a natural remedy adequate for treating nail mycosis. The procedure is very simple. Just soak a cotton ball in aloe vera gel and apply on the afflicted area before bedtime. Wrap the foot in a plastic bag and leave it overnight. Repeat the procedure for ten days and the results will not fail to appear.
11. Sage, Chamomile, Rattles, Nettle, Peppermint Mixture
While chamomile it is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, sage is known as production of perspiration diminisher. Also, while rattles have an antiseptic and astringent effect, all these combined with nettle and peppermint will make an excellent mixture which will deliver a certain cure for toenail fungus.
- Mince medium amounts of these plants: sage, chamomile, rattles, nettle, and peppermint.
- Mix and put them in a sock. You will use it on the affected ones from the evening until morning.
- It may be a bit uncomfortable, but after 15 days of this treatment, you’ll cure the nail fungus.
In case you have visible irritations caused by mycosis, you can cure them using onion. Make a gruel out of the crushed onion and apply directly on the affected nails. When the toenails irritation of toenails doesn’t give you peace, you must dilute the gruel in olive oil in the proportion of 50%.
13. Thyme & Lavender Oil
People use thyme for medical purposes for thousands of years. It has an antimicrobial and antioxidant effect, which qualifies it as a great choice for fighting against both – skin infections and nail fungi. Apply some thyme oil on the affected area two times per day, until the disease disappears.
If you decide to use lavender oil, initially, clean the affected nail and wash it with a concentrated decoction of sage and thyme. Subsequently, rub your infected ones with lavender oil. The lavender oil is antifungal. Repeat the procedure for ten days. Also, you can directly apply only lavender oil on the affected ones and also on the skin between your affected fingers.
Use these suggestions to keep your feet and toenails as healthy as possible and to prevent the occurrence and the development of this infection. Be aware because symptoms can relapse and fungi can spread quickly again.
Toenail Fungus Pieces Of Advice For Daily Routine
If you suffer from foot fungus, besides the natural remedies presented in this article, to prevent it, you should:
- Change socks daily, to avoid recontamination;
- Boil your socks or use a high-temperature cycle in the washing machine, using cleaning substances with high disinfecting power. Fungi are resistant in their environment. Low temperatures don’t kill them;
- Avoid to share shoes or socks; The recommendation is to wash the socks separately from the rest of the family;
- Wash your feet daily;
- Avoid contact with a diseased foot;
- Trim your nails short;
- Use quality footwear and allow your feet to breathe;
- Do not use socks made of synthetic materials;
- Protect your feet by using sandals or flip flops when going to swimming pools, public restrooms or saunas;
- Quit using polish or artificial nails;
- Use only manicure and pedicure salons where they sterilize the metallic instruments;
These home remedies for toenail fungus are distinct one from each other, and some of them are worth trying. Sometimes they have amazing results, sometimes for some people may not work, but they have the significant advantage of not presenting any contraindications and not having toxic effects on the organism.
If you find yourself in the situation of dealing with this fungus infestation,we presented a few but top natural methods for stopping its development and to treat it naturally. Anyway, you must take action before the entire toenail bed is affected. Once the bed is compromised, the treatment must continue until a new nail is fully grown, and this may take one year for some people. The only reason most remedies fail is that the individuals are not following these long enough.
Maybe you want to read our 14 Ways To Get Rid Of Bunions